Monday, June 8, 2015

Our Journey Begins: An Introduction

In the year 1960, an ambitious primatologist from Cambridge began study of a group of chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream National Park, in Tanzania.  Dr. Jane Goodall lived among the gentle beasts studying their habits, relationships within their group, and generally how chimpanzees live in the wild from an up close and deeply intimate view.  It was ground-breaking research that has shaped how modern scientists look at the behavior of primates from that point on.  It was her belief that to truly understand an animal or ecosystem you cannot just be a silent observer, a fly on the wall, you must dive into their world with all your mind, heart, and soul and become one of them.

This summer I embark on such a journey.  For years now I have been able to keep a firm hold on reality and not lose myself in the world of "Les Enfant".  Now without my wife and companion to keep me anchored I fear I drift into the unknown, far away from the shores that give me comfort.  Though I had little choice in the matter, I have decided to embrace this situation as a learning opportunity and a chance to possibly crack the code that is "children".

Throughout each week I will conduct my  research and condense my observations and findings into three journal entries a week.  It is my hope that I can provide a theme each week to give my observations a clear, and hopefully interesting, story arc. This will provide an easier to digest narrative than a simple research paper could provide and perhaps be entertaining as well.  During my time spent in this strange and wonderful world I will refer to my research subjects by nicknames so as to protect their anonymity. 

I hope you will join me on this journey of discovery.  It is my wish that my research can be of help to you someday should you make the ill-advised and wildly reckless decision to tread the same waters as I, and venture too far out away from shore into that deep, dark, unknown world of "Les Enfant".

No comments:

Post a Comment